Jabfel Goes to Pasinaya

Pasinaya 2012 (Feature Article)
Rationale:
This is a Feature Article in the form of a Theater Critique which I watched at the PASINAYA 2012. I composed informative and descriptive local news for readers who are interested in the Cultural Center of the Philippines’ Pasinaya Festival. I saw what happened in the event last February 26, 2012, the queue for different shows and different theaters within the CCP house.
This updated story is thoroughly researched using links from Google. In addition, I have been aided by a friend who is skilled and adept in editing.
I composed my lead article with the help of the Journalism Handbook pages 41-46. I used the parody lead for the grammatical-beginning lead. I also include a descriptive lead for its novelty.
The goal of this news story is to provide knowledge and information with accuracy and usefulness for the readers.
Personally, it will be an exciting experience for me to write a news story such as this and I believe that one of the beneficiaries will be the artistic-minded Filipinos.
I am writing this for the Philippine Star newspaper. I studied their outline and I hope my story captures my readers’ attention.

Jabfel Goes to Pasinaya

“Excellence is not a skill, it is an attitude, a desire, a habit,” is a quote I read at the Bulwagang Francisca Reyes Aquino last February 26, 2012, as the Cultural Center of the Philippines celebrated its yearly festival of Filipino arts. I attended the Pasinaya 2012 with my classmates because our Fundamentals of Writing for Mass Media professor consequent of our given task: to observe the CCP Pasinaya 2012 provided that we write a paper about it. Relevant to our course, Pasinaya gave us an experience to set our minds in knowing our job in the future. Pasinaya is an annual event by the CCP where performing groups from all over the country show previews or excerpts from the shows they have for the current year.


There were many art exhibits and dance performances, theater acts, film showing, musicals, ballet, orchestra and more. All this was for the price of 20 pesos. However, some availed their VIP tickets which cost 200 pesos. It was a “pay what you can, see all you can” event. I liked the rainbow streamers which symbolize our culture and art as colorful and a collaborative blessing. The experience was worth so much more than the 20 pesos I donated.

Many people visited CCP to watched Filipino arts which tested my patience in the queues.

This was my first time to watch the hand bell choir from the Central Philippine University (CPU). It amazed me and made me curious on how to play that instrument with different pitches and tones. However, it was pleasant to hear. I smiled in every song they played because I know how hard it was to make it sound like a singing bird.

The audience was singing along with every piece they played. It was very relaxing for me.

I also watched a documentary film directed by Samantha Lee called AGOS (Waves) which was awarded the 1st prize in GAWAD 2011. The documentary is in reference to the life of Lolita De Guzman, a 30 years old surfer from Daet, Camarines Norte.

A Deaf Girl dancing 

It was also my first time to watch a performance of university dance companies live such as De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde Romancon Dance Company, De La Salle Dance Company, Annie Divina Gracia Sartorio School of Performing Arts and Ilonggo Dance Guild. It was breathtaking! I also watched them do contemporary dance, hip hop, ballet, and other types of dances with a variety of stories to tell. How great they were in doing pirouettes, tricks, body lines and balance! They danced gracefully! I hope to be like them in the future.

What I liked the most, however, was watching a theater play! Unlike everything else I experienced during this event, I am not new to theater. I’ve been watching theater ever since I took up Communication Studies major in Theater Arts. I’ve watched some live performances and on the internet. Theater is very provocative, sometimes offensive and often very controversial. But since I’m not new to it, it didn’t surprise me when I saw that two actors kiss each other showing homosexuality. This performance was really something else! Every scene caught our attention (they made as laugh and giggle) and increased our interest to know the story further. It was my first time to go to the CCP Festival of Multi-Arts and I felt culturally initiated. I can’t believe what I have been missing out on!

Not only have I gathered information, but now I am officially cultured. I think the PASINAYA is one of the events which I will look forward to every year! One whole day isn’t enough for me to watch all the shows because some shows start at the same time and it pains me that I can’t cut my body in half because I really want to watch all the shows.

I really love Philippine culture. I love arts and I treasure my nationality as an artistic Filipino citizen. A quotation about attitude towards the arts inspired me to explore what art is, “Art has always been involved in the process of making the rich even richer and the poor even poorer.”

Looking forward for PASINAYA 2013! :) EXCITING!! ^_^

Mga Komento

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

How to Make Pinakbet Ilocano Style

Movie Review of "The King's Speech"

A Secret NBSB Love Poem